- 1 What are the different types of lime?
- 2 Can I use lemon instead of lime in Thai curry?
- 3 Can you eat kaffir limes?
- 4 What is the best lime?
- 5 Is quicklime the same as lime?
- 6 What is the difference between fat lime and hydraulic lime?
- 7 Can I substitute lemon juice for lime juice in a recipe?
- 8 What can I use instead of lime juice in a recipe?
- 9 Can we use lemon juice instead of lime juice?
- 10 What do you do with Makrut limes?
- 11 What can you do with kaffir limes?
- 12 What do kaffir lime leaves taste like?
- 13 What should I look for when buying a lime tree?
- 14 What is the difference between Limes and Key limes?
- 15 Is pelletized lime better?
What are the different types of lime?
See below for the different types of lime.
- Dry-slaked Lime.
- Lime Putty.
- Non Hydraulic Lime.
- Hydraulic Lime.
- Feebly hydraulic Lime.
- Ashlar Hydraulic Lime.
- Moderately Hydraulic Lime.
- Eminently Hydraulic Lime.
Can I use lemon instead of lime in Thai curry?
Limes are one of the cornerstones of Thai cooking. You will find lime juice in nearly as many recipes as you find fish sauce. If you only have lemons available, you can substitute the lemon for lime, but limes are what are used in Thailand and give a much richer flavor.
Can you eat kaffir limes?
Kaffir lime leaves are too tough to just eat, so they ‘re either kept large and reserved, or sliced thin. Many Thai recipes call for the kaffir lime leaves. If the leaf is used whole, like in curry or in soup, most people do not eat the leaf itself.
What is the best lime?
For a reliable, productive lime tree in California, GardenZeus recommends Bearss limes ( Citrus latifolia ), also known as Persian or Tahitian limes. Like lemons, Bearss limes do not require high heat to mature, making them a better choice for growing in California than true limes.
Is quicklime the same as lime?
Lime is commonly referred to by a number of terms including quicklime, calcium oxide, high calcium lime, or dolomitic lime. All refer to the same material, lime.
What is the difference between fat lime and hydraulic lime?
The main difference between the two is the way is which they set. Hydraulic limes set by hydrolysis, a reaction caused by water. Non Hydraulic Limes have various names such as Fat Lime, Lime Putty, Air Lime and set by carbonation. This causes a much slower set and the lime remains softer and more breathable.
Can I substitute lemon juice for lime juice in a recipe?
1. Lemon Juice. Lemon juice is my go-to substitute for lime juice since it’s the most similar in flavor and acidity. You can substitute it 1:1 in practically any recipe that calls for lime juice, even margaritas!
What can I use instead of lime juice in a recipe?
Lime Juice Substitutes
- Other citrus juices: In most dishes, a 1:1 substitute of lemon juice will work just fine.
- Vinegar: Try apple cider, white wine, or other vinegars if the primary function of the lime is acidity (such as in ceviche).
Can we use lemon juice instead of lime juice?
1. Lime juice. Lime juice is the best substitute for lemon juice, as it can be used as a one -to- one replacement and has a very similar taste and acidity level ( 5 ). In desserts in which lemon juice is a key ingredient, lime juice imparts a slightly different flavor.
What do you do with Makrut limes?
Makrut limes are known for their intensely fragrant rind and zest and are used as a finishing element in savory dishes. The zest and pieces of its rind can be finely chopped and then mashed with other ingredients using a mortar and pestle to make curry paste to be added to soups such as tom yum, curries, and stews.
What can you do with kaffir limes?
In tropical Thailand, almost every home in the countryside has a Kaffir lime tree in its yard. Besides enhancing food flavour, Kaffir lime is also used as an indisputably effective cleanser, natural deodorizer, adds a sparkling scent of refreshing perfume and freshens one’s mental outlook and lifts the spirits.
What do kaffir lime leaves taste like?
The leaf. The kaffir leaf has a potent citrus flavor that is sour, with a floral undertone. It is best compared to a combination of lime, lemon, and mandarin, and is unique in taste. The leaves of a kaffir lime are a similar texture to bay leaves and are often not eaten when added to a dish.
What should I look for when buying a lime tree?
Lime trees, like any citrus tree, have a few key needs in order to grow well. Make sure that they get enough warmth, not too much water, have well-draining soil, and add fertilizer to their soil a few times of year.
What is the difference between Limes and Key limes?
The Difference Between Limes and Key Limes They’re light yellow (not green) when ripe and contain more seeds than regular limes. Their skin is also very thin, which means they don’t store well. Key lime juice is prized for being tart and super-aromatic.
Is pelletized lime better?
Based on research from several states, it appears that the pelletized lime reacts no faster to raise the soil pH than good quality ag lime applied at recommended rates. In fact, incubation studies at Michigan State University found the pelletized lime to have a slower rate of reaction.