- 1 How is Thai fried rice different?
- 2 How do you cook Thai rice?
- 3 How do I make fried rice stick together?
- 4 Why is fried rice bad for you?
- 5 Can you lose weight eating Thai food?
- 6 Is Thai food healthier than Chinese food?
- 7 How long should I let rice cook?
- 8 How much water do you put in Thai rice?
- 9 What Rice is used in Thai cooking?
- 10 How do you dry rice for fried rice fast?
- 11 How do you keep fried rice from being sticky?
- 12 How do you keep fried rice from getting soggy?
- 13 What you should never order from a Chinese restaurant?
- 14 Why Chinese food is bad for you?
- 15 Can you lose weight eating fried rice?
How is Thai fried rice different?
What is the difference between Chinese fried rice and Thai fried rice? The major differences is that Thai fried rice is flavored with fish sauce, and the main flavoring agent in Chinese fried rice is soy sauce. Chinese fried rice also often contains more vegetables.
How do you cook Thai rice?
Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the rice and the salt; cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Taste the rice; if it is still too firm, add a few more tablespoons of water.
How do I make fried rice stick together?
Just grab a sieve, or strainer, and run cold water over the grains until the excess starch has washed away. (This will keep the rice from being mushy, and sticking together.) Then just shake off any extra water, and cook the rice as you normally would. Use long grain rice.
Why is fried rice bad for you?
Fried rice is undeniably bad for you, setting you back 450 calories and 14 grams of fat. Brown rise is better, with only 215 calories and a generous 3.5 grams of fiber per cup. But even though it’s trendy to avoid white rice because it’s a high-glycemic carb, it’s not so bad.
Can you lose weight eating Thai food?
Thai food is fairly healthy and good for weight loss. In fact, many Westerners tend to lose between 3% and 5% of their body weight in 1-2 months if they switch from Western foods to Thai foods.
Is Thai food healthier than Chinese food?
Thai food, on average, is healthier than Chinese food. It’s cooked with significantly fewer oils, and its ingredients are fresher, creating a “lighter” feeling when you finish eating. In comparison, Chinese food is deep-fried more often and can use plenty of preservatives.
How long should I let rice cook?
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid, 16 to 18 minutes (check only toward the end of cooking time).
- Remove from heat and let steam, covered, for 10 minutes.
How much water do you put in Thai rice?
But how much water do you add? Some people recommend 1 cup of water per 1 cup of rice.
What Rice is used in Thai cooking?
Jasmine rice is originally from Thailand and is commonly used in Southeast Asian cooking. This is a long grain variety of rice that has a subtle floral aroma and a soft, sticky texture when cooked. The grains are also shorter and thicker than basmati rice.
How do you dry rice for fried rice fast?
Drying the freshly cooked rice by spreading it on a tray and putting it under a fan for one hour does the trick. Kenji’s recommends this method (even more than day old rice!) If you don’t have an hour to wait, you can spread still hot rice on a tray and let the surface moisture evaporate.
How do you keep fried rice from being sticky?
Use day-old cooked cold white rice. Spending the night refrigerated will make it drier and easier to break up sticky clumps. Fry your scrambled eggs first and set them aside. Use a well-seasoned wok or pan with very little oil.
How do you keep fried rice from getting soggy?
Use cold, leftover cooked rice. Left in the fridge overnight, the rice grains will firm up, making it easier to separate and decreasing the chances of your fried rice turning out mushy. If you can’t wait, air freshly cooked rice to remove moisture and refrigerate the rice for a few hours before cooking.
What you should never order from a Chinese restaurant?
Things You Should Never Order From A Chinese Restaurant
- Fried rice. Shutterstock. If you are uncertain why this dish is included here, then the clue is in the name.
- Sweet-and-sour chicken. Shutterstock.
- Crab rangoon. Shutterstock.
- Egg rolls. Shutterstock.
- Orange beef. Shutterstock.
- Lemon chicken. Shutterstock.
- Shrimp toast. Shutterstock.
- Anything with crab. Shutterstock.
Why Chinese food is bad for you?
While Chinese restaurant food is bad for your waistline and blood pressure— sodium contributes to hypertension— it does offer vegetable-rich dishes and the kind of fat that’s not bad for the heart. And eggplant in garlic sauce has 1,000 calories and 2,000 milligrams of sodium.
Can you lose weight eating fried rice?
Most restaurant fried rice is full of calories and fat, so it isn’t the best choice for weight loss. Luckily this lightened up fried rice is packed with veggies, brown rice, and uses a minimal amount of oil. This makes it a much better option for anyone looking to lose weight or eat healthier.